Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Possibility of Tomorrow


As mentioned in a previous blog in February, I have always looked towards NetJets and FedEx as my end careers. Truthfully, I know I will be happy if I am simply in the industry. With that being said I have a goal but it is more dependent on whether I remain happy doing what I am doing with the life I choose to lead. My goals change with life as any person should and do. Tomorrow I could loose my vision and have to readjust my entire lifestyle or choose to strive for a more family oriented lifestyle than I originally was worked towards.  At this very moment I am looking for a career in one of those above-mentioned areas of the industry but have also prepared myself with knowledge in various areas of the industry as backups in case something falls through. 

On one side of the coin Net Jets offers a variety of flexibility excitement and ever-changing destination while the other side of the coin FedEx has a higher standard of living attached to more regular schedule. NetJets is the like the sports car of my reality while FedEx is that old caddy your grandma drives both dreams and what I push for each day but have a completely different feeling when you get behind the wheel.  NetJets is a highly respectable company with about 3,000 pilots total and about 500 furloughed.  NetJets has 13 different types of aircraft manufactured by Cessna, Gulfstream, Hawker, Falcon, and Phenom.  NetJets is constantly obtaining more aircraft for business. Currently they are supporting about 800 aircraft worldwide with destinations at over 2,000 airports.  Even though the company is not currently hiring they require 2500 hours total time with 500 hours in a fixed multiengine aircraft. The starting pay is about 60,000 annually and tops out at about 90,000 a year.

Currently FedEx is a highly looked upon company for its large profitability, growth, and advancement. FedEx flies a fleet of Boeing, McDonnell Douglas, and Airbus aircraft with 27 new 767-300ER’s on the way. They have the largest widebody fleet in the world. The hiring window just currently opened to obtain about 20 pilots a month in hopes of counteracting the mandatory retirements in the next twenty years, which averages over 150 a year. The minimums to apply include a Bachelor’s degree with 1500 fixed wing multiengine turbine. The starting pay is about 60 dollars an hour and caps at about 260 dollars an hour at 15 years. According to a little research in airline forums the average entry age as a FedEx pilot is mid to late 30’s, therefore the pilots have a few years under their belt before they are even eligible. The direct benefits of this position are a 401K with up to $500 matching/year with 150% pay rate on days off.  Many people view FedEx as a world leader in the industry by all means many pilots feel the same but as all jobs it’s a tad harry in the beginning and every job has its drawbacks to the lifestyle. We all want the ideal 9-5 job but frankly by the time I am mid forties I can guarantee you I will be feeling the same way but for now I am fighting for a chance and if it means the “grunge” work; those long boring night flights constantly dealing with cranky sleep deprived people I will take and always remember that life is a party and I will sleep when I’m dead as long it doesn’t cause my death! I look forward to the grueling flights of the future.

4 comments:

  1. As far as the flip of the coin, between NetJet and Fedex, weigh your pros and cons and see what would work better for you and will make you love what your doing. My goal is not to let the job pick me, but let me pick the career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fedex would be a great airline yet alone company to work for. Don't forget about UPS, they're just as good and everything is comparable to Fedex (essentially same pay, similar aircraft, etc.). Seems like cargo carriers have always been the most desirable to work for. NetJet's sounds like a great option also, particularly with respect to how much they pay. It'd be a tough choice between Fedex and NetJet's, if Netjets caps out at around 90000 a year, i'd probably go with Fedex, considering you could probably double that amount by the time you'd be in your 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both NetJet and Fedex both are great companies to work for. You could not go wrong with either one. Funny comparison of NetJet and sports car while Fedex and old caddy. Fedex pays more, but NetJet's is more glamor flying rich people and celebrities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you prove a good point that most people in the industry have to deal with at some point: Your changing lifestyle and preferences over time, and whether or not that makes you want to alter your career path. It is good that you have your FedEx and Netjets goals, but you also realize that those goals may change over time.

    ReplyDelete